Raptors in Talks for Jeff Teague (Lowry on his way out?)

36 replies to this topic

#1 nahom1319

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationScarborough

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

The New York Knicks are attempting to resume trade talks with the Toronto Raptors on Kyle Lowry, according to sources.
The Knicks are offering packages including Iman Shumpert, Raymond Felton and Beno Udrih, sources say.
New York is reluctant to include Tim Hardaway Jr. or a future first round pick. The Raptors almost certainly will require one of those two assets to trade Lowry directly to the Knicks.
"It comes down to, can they talk themselves into getting rid of a first-rounder or Hardaway Jr. for Lowry," one league source said.
League sources say a three-team deal has also been discussed in which Jeff Teague would end up with the Raptors, while Shumpert gets routed to the Atlanta Hawks and Lowry to the Knicks. Another trade scenario has the Knicks acquiring Teague. Those conversations have only been preliminary.

Via Ian Begley/ESPN
Yeahhh so Lowry is definitely not signing back with us.

View PostMoney_Ball, on 26 June 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

Joradn Hill and Ed Davis are both solid PF to come off the bench, Capela would be lucky to ever reach their level of production.

#2 Haisan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

Yes, because NY sports gossip is always so accurate. That's how their newspapers were first to know LeBron and Dwight were going to the Knicks.

#3 JMerc22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationBay Roberts, NL

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

I don' understand how Iman Shumpert gets you anyone in this league. He has not been good this year at all. NY media trying to draw up scenarios where they gain a good player and give up nothing.

Last week it was Shumpert to the Nuggets for Faried.

#4 Kobe81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

I wouldn't trust anything coming from New York media next few days. However, if Masai really feels he'll be unable to keep Lowry this offseason, I wouldn't mind getting Jeff Teague AND Tim Hardaway Jr.

#5 dragon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

Why would ATL help either team when they could trade Teague for a draft pick?

With the media claiming that MU is more concerned with the team's future I'm worried that he'd take Knicks filler over Teague which would make sense with the Hawks less likely to want their filler. The one consistency in all the rumors is that MU doesn't intend to re-sign Lowry.

#6 Money_Ball

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

Raymond Felton has negative trade value, it would take a pick just to absorb his contract.

#7 scully19

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

I don't see the purpose of this trade at all from our standpoint. Lowry I think is likely to stay in part because of how well this team gets along AND we are likely the only team able to offer him the money he wants and deserves. We aren't trading him for so little IMO.

#8 nahom1319

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationScarborough

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:29 AM

Wolstat weighing in.... believes we're looking at Rondo.

WASHINGTON - Ahead of Thursday’s trade deadline, the Raptors have been involved in talks with multiple teams that would change the team’s point guard situation significantly.

With the New York Knicks continuing to aggressively pursue Kyle Lowry, who has turned in a career season, Toronto has explored complicated deals that would bring back a replacement for the soon-to-be free agent.

It’s no secret Boston has dangled four-time all-star Rajon Rondo league-wide and while the asking price is steep, he has piqued the interest of Toronto’s front office, according to multiple sources. Toronto is eager to up its “star” quotient and is also enamoured with Rondo’s resume, particularly his four all-defensive team selections (two all-NBA first team). He has many backers in the organization.

However, Rondo tore his ACL just over a year ago, has only played in 10 contests this season and will become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2015 after earning $12.9 million next year.

Despite all that, Rondo would not come cheaply. Bull.com’s Sam Smith said the price is believed to be “two unprotected first rounders” while one source told the Sun the ask is a combination of at least one lottery pick and talented young player.

Boston is currently in the midst of a rebuild after dealing away Rondo’s Big Three cohorts Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce in the off-season (Ray Allen departed for Miami a year earlier).

That’s where dealing Lowry would come in. Knicks owner James Dolan reportedly nixed a deal earlier in the season and Lowry responded by playing the best basketball of his career. He’s sixth in the league in three-pointers made, eighth in assists per game and sixth in win shares. With the future of star forward Carmelo Anthony uncertain, Dolan apparently has reconsidered as New York looks to improve its roster.

ESPN New York reported Monday that the Knicks have been reluctant to surrender either promising rookie Tim Hardaway Jr. or a future first-round pick. Either would be needed in a package for Rondo.

Sources confirmed that Atlanta is also aggressively shopping young point guard Jeff Teague, despite matching Milwaukee’s four-year, $32-million offer sheet to Teague last summer. Teague, who had a tremendous start to the season, has struggled mightily since the Hawks lost all-star big man Al Horford to injury. Teague could be a cheaper, fallback option in either Toronto or New York, should those team’s preferred choices fall through.

Lowry will be a free agent this summer and though he and head coach Dwane Casey have mended fences somewhat as the team surged to the top of the Atlantic Division, they are not close and there remain some doubts within the organization whether they would be a viable pair long-term. Casey’s contract is also up at the end of the season, but Toronto’s play will surely earn Casey some coach of the year votes.

Lowry said Monday he remains unfazed by any rumours.

“No, nothing at all (has changed),” Lowry told the Sun.

“It’s just ‘cause it’s closer to that time of the year. For me personally, I’m not worrying about anything, I’m just going to keep doing my job. I’ve got two games, and then the deadline.

“It hasn’t distracted me before, so it’s not going to distract me now.”
Now I'm not saying a trade is anywhere close to being done. All I'm saying is that there is smoke. As I've been saying for weeks there have been hints in articles (the one where Kyle was mentioned to have been sat down with Masai, Tim and Wayne before the season) that Lowry and Casey still do not see eye to eye and that they are both putting on a nice front to earn their next contract.

I don't think Lowry stays in toronto past this season.There will likely be many more rumors before the deadline passes.

Joradn Hill and Ed Davis are both solid PF to come off the bench, Capela would be lucky to ever reach their level of production.

#9 dragon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:03 AM

Yes to Teague
No to Rondo

Boston's asking price will be too high
We can pay him less as a FA
Since the injury this might be the start of his decline

If Casey is set on a pass first PG I'd rather get Kendall Marshall

…but keeping Casey over Lowry is just stupid.

#10 scully19

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

I have pretty much the exact opposite opinion of dragon. No to Teague, Yes to Rondo (unless the asking price is too high, but let's say its Lowry and this year's unprotected I wouldn't hate that). He would certainly work very well with our bigs running a ton of pick and rolls and setting them up for easy plays.

And dear god do I not want Kendall Marshall. He is only on radars because of his huge assists numbers but he has terrible rest of his numbers, especially defensively.

Frankly at this point, unless they feel they can not possibly keep Lowry, I would choose keeping him as my first choice.

#11 Haisan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

I like Rondo a lot ... but you need to surround him with some great shooters. Ie, not DeRozan.

No, unless Ujiri can hit a real home run, I would prefer he let the current team play out the year.

#12 Freewheel

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

I'd take Teague and future first rounder for Lowry. It isn't great but it's something. A couple more assets for Ujiri to put in play in his quest for a star.
It's unfortunate that Lowry is in a contract year. He just doesn't appear to have many believers in NBA circles.

#13 abc

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

If MU thinks its unlikely he can resign Lowry, i'd rather go the Rondo route.
I wouldn't mind trading something like Lowry + Val for Rondo + Sullinger. I think Val's probably slightly overvalued on the market (rookie contract + upside), and i'm not confident he's going to be that all-star center we all hoped for a few years ago. I think this way is a little more 'safe' we get an extra year of a good PG, and if we don't think he'll re-sign we can flip him at this time next year. Hopefully Boston would perceive Val as an upgrade over Sullinger.

#14 Money_Ball

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

Unless Lowry has already made up his mind and wants out, I see no reason to trade him for less than what he's worth.

Rondo's an intresting option, but that has its problems too. Compared to Lowry, he isn't any younger, cheaper, or healthier, and he's definitely going to cost us an asset (on top of Lowry). Not only that, but his contract expires next season... Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, and possibly Miami could all have enough cap space to sign him in 2015. The risks of losing Rondo for nothing are just as high as losing Lowry for nothing.

#15 nahom1319

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationScarborough

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

View PostMoney_Ball, on 18 February 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

Unless Lowry has already made up his mind and wants out, I see no reason to trade him for less than what he's worth.

Rondo's an intresting option, but that has its problems too. Compared to Lowry, he isn't any younger, cheaper, or healthier, and he's definitely going to cost us an asset (on top of Lowry). Not only that, but his contract expires next season... Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, and possibly Miami could all have enough cap space to sign him in 2015. The risks of losing Rondo for nothing are just as high as losing Lowry for nothing.
IMO the risks are higher given Lowry's lack of support in various nba circles and lower profile. If that bolded line proves untrue then all of this trade talk proves moot, as its highly unlikely that you get a player who can duplicate the performance Lowry has put up this season.

#16 scully19

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

And unlikely he bolts because not many teams are going to have the spending money this year, and even less who need a PG and would go after him. That means that we could probably get the same value in a trade for him in the summer in a sign and trade than we got now, possibly more.

Teams that have some money: Atlanta (Teague), Cleveland (Irving), Dallas (Calderon), Charlotte (Kemba), Detroit (Jennings), Lakers (Nash), Bucks (Empty), New Orleans (Jrue), Orlando (Jameer team option), Philly (Carter-Williams), Phoenix (Dragic, Bledsoe), Utah (Trey Burke), That's about it. A couple of these teams are borderline have enough money, but right now the picks are essentially a beat up Lakers team if they decide to go for him and abandon both Nash and the rest of the team needs (since they have Kobe at 23mill they are probably very limited), the Bucks and Us. That's about it for the market. No way he chooses the Bucks over the Raptors, and I don't think the Lakers will pursue him on a team run mostly by Kobe and that they already have Nash and need to fill out ALL the front court spots.

#17 JMerc22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationBay Roberts, NL

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

Man it's Rondo. The only reason you wouldn't want Rondo is because you don't think he will re-sign. If you have the opportunity to get Rondo you do that, worry about re-signing him later.

#18 nahom1319

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationScarborough

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

View PostJMerc22, on 18 February 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

Man it's Rondo. The only reason you wouldn't want Rondo is because you don't think he will re-sign. If you have the opportunity to get Rondo you do that, worry about re-signing him later.
Rondo isn't better than Lowry has been this year. If you don't think Lowry's play is sustainable then you can argue that, but the counter argument would be that Rondo is coming off an injury and might not play the same as well. Kyle has simply played at a superstar level this year. If he can do this on a long term basis you keep him and don't look back. Rondo had his best years alongside 3 future HOFs.

#19 tech

MVP

• Administrators
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

View PostJMerc22, on 18 February 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

I wasn't aware that there are two Rondos in the league.

I say that because there is no way you're talking about Rajon,
imo he's the definition of overrated.

View Postnahom1319, on 18 February 2014 - 04:51 PM, said:

Rondo had his best years alongside 3 future HOFs.
^^^
this

#20 Kapono

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

How can you not see eye-to-eye with Lowry as a coach?

"You're a good defender, a fantastic shooter and generally a reliable scorer, you're great at creating looks for your teammates, and you show leadership on the court? Sorry, I'm not feeling it."

He produces in a number of different ways and he's always been efficient as a scorer...pls don't go Kyle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users